Friday, March 09, 2007

They aren't interested, they just don't care for it.

So I was a bit out of it last Session, which is why you're escaping some ill-informed rebound opinion on the follow-up resolution to the Lisbon strategy.

The deterioration continues, as we depart from the realm of harmless nonsense and descend to the level of offensive cartoons. Surely there's no such thing as a 24 hour intellectual. Although I know my Human Rights lecturer would probably take exception to that ("and don't be watching mindless TV programmes, towards the knowledge - always be going towards the knowledge! Mediocrity is not acceptable, etc.")

Anyone who's familiar with the genial Screenwipe hosted by the relentlessly sardonic and utterly wonderful Charlie Brooker (late night BBC4 might be described as "niche" in televisual terms but apparently it's developped a cult following, as well it should) will by now be familiar with the work of Dave Firth of fat-pie.com, whose off-the-wall creations have been repeatedly featured on the programme.

As a result of the heavy plugging, I eventually caved in and visited this Dave character's website. I have to say some of it is fairly innocuous and some has you shuddering and feeling distinctly queazy. His cartoons intrigue me though, and increasingly so the more I watch them. I especially like the fact that many are inspired from dreams (
a good example), I'm big on people who work from their dreams, like Salvador Dali & the surrealists. Sounds like a band. Anyway, this one in particular rings familiar with me, as I'm sure it will with many people, after all who hasn't had the recurring "Russian laughter room" dream? Exactly.

Strange, disconcerting and downright disturbing on occasion, I recommend a visit, just don't hold me responsible for the questionable content. Still, if Charlie likes it, there must be some merit there.

Fat-pie.com

No comments: